Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Momvoli

Hi everybody. I'm about half-way through my second Tivoli, this time for my mom. I'm nearly done with the decrease section. The latest pictures I have were from Sunday, when I hit the crop-top phase. Here it is:


There are more pictures on my blog.


I'm using KnitPicks Shine in Orchid. I started this before the Picovoli version was published, so I based it on the old 31" version of the pattern, and resized it for my mom. Essentially, I used the 31" necline, and then just added another two repeats of the raglan increase until I got the bust size I wanted. I'm pleased with the fit so far, but since Shine drapes so much, the fit changes significantly as the weight of more yarn is added.

I learned that the hard way with my own Tivoli:

I fell between sizes and had to reengineer the old pattern. Grumperina gave me some good advice about ease, but I didn't make it quite as negative as she suggested. (She said to do at least 2" less than the body measurement, but I rounded up when doing my recalcs, and ended up with closer to 1".) When I do another for myself (why don't you try and stop me), I'll follow Grumpy's suggestions more closely.

That said, I do like it as it is. The looser fit and resulting drapey back are ladylike and graceful.


It's perfectly wearable, but the shoulders, being stretched across the stitches instead of up and down them, have been sagging with wear, which further contributes to the looseness. I have to reblock after each wearing, or it starts to look sloppy. I may give it a crocheted edging aroung the neckline to stabilize it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

Those really look great! I'm still on the raglan increases on mine and have added one stripe so far. It looks pretty fancy.

10:00 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Your Momvoli looks awesome! Nice job. =)

6:27 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Great job -- your experience makes me not want to buy more Shine, though. I have some already and almost used it for this pattern. Keep us posted on your third!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Nadira said...

Elspeth: I actually love Shine for this project. I just didn't take the drapiness into account when I resized it. As long as you follow Grumperina's advice and do 2" of negative ease, you'll be fine.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

So you're saying to make a smaller size than you originally would? I do have some Shine but wasn't planning on using it for Tivoli, although now I just might. I'm making mine with Endless Summer Lara from elann.com.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home